New York City Ballet’s / The Nutcracker Returns For Live Performances / Lonely Planet / Travel Exclusive News / By Tony Bar / New York / Photo: Erin Baiano
We’ve partnered with Healthline experts to share COVID-19 guidance & news for travelers. Learn More The New York City Ballet’s performance of The Nutcracker is back in person for the 2021 holiday season © Erin Baiano
After a virtual production in 2020, New York City Ballet’s Nutcracker will make an in-person return this year, with nearly 50 performances scheduled for the holiday season.
The annual event – a staple of New York’s festive scene – kicks off November 26 at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and runs through January 2. It features a cast and crew of 300-plus, including 90 dancers, 62 musicians, 40 stagehands and more than 125 children (all ages 12 and up for COVID-19 safety reasons) from the School of American Ballet, as well as scenery by Rouben Ter-Arutunian, costumes by Karinska, lighting by Mark Stanley, a world-famous score by Peter Tschaikovsky and choreography by the legendary George Balanchine.
A male and female dancer performing a pas de deux during the NYCB’s Nutcracker
Performances begin November 26 at Lincoln Centero © Erin Baian
The original 1954 production was directed and choreographed by Balanchine himself and has long been considered a masterpiece of dance theater and a signature holiday event.
Aside from last year’s streaming event, filmed during the company’s 2019 season at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center and aired after the pandemic forced the NYCB to cancel its 2020 season, the Nutcracker has been performed every year without fail since it debuted 67 years ago.
You might also like: 12 things to know about spending the holidays in NYC
It may be familiar material, but the 2021 production has some surprises in store, from the onstage snowstorm to the massive Christmas tree (which undergoes an even bigger growth spurt) to the seriously high-wattage finale.
A group of female dancers on stage, dressed in pink
COVID-19 safety protocols are in place for the holiday season © Erin Baiano
Also new this year are the COVID-19 protocols: all attendees ages 12 and up will be required to show proof of vaccination to enter, while children under 12 and adults unvaccinated due to medical or religious reasons can show proof of a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of the performance instead.
Tickets start at US$45. For more information or to book, visit nycballet.com.
You might also like:
The highs and lows of visiting New York with kids
Best free things to do in New York City this winter
Getting around in New York City
This article was first published on December 8, 2020 and updated on November 19, 2021
Buy Ultimate United States Travel List
© Lonely Planet
For the first time ever, Lonely Planet’s experts have compiled the USA’s 500 most memorable, beautiful, surprising and compelling experiences. Ponder the scope of the Grand Canyon, delve into the history of a nation of immigrants at Ellis Island or wander across architectural grandeur at Golden Gate Bridge. Where will you go next?
BUY ULTIMATE UNITED STATES TRAVEL LIST
Get inspired to travel everyday by signing up to our daily newsletter.
WMWNEWSTURKEY MEDIA GROUP
- As England Drops COVID-19 Restrictions, Here’s What It Means For Travel / By SASHA BRADY / Lonely Planet / Exclusive Travel News / London
- Fashion & Travel / KATE BOCK SIZZLES IN SPORTS ILLUSTRATED: SWIMSUIT ISSUE 2020 / Photos By Yu Tsai / Fashion Gone Rogue
- Fashion & Travel / PADMA LAKSHMI FLAUNTS HER MIDRIFF IN WOMEN’S HEALTH / Photography By Tyler Jor For Women’s Health / Fashion Gone Rogue
- Ace Of M.I.C.E Etkinlik Ve Toplantı Ödülleri 4 Eylül’de İstanbul’da Sahiplerini Buluyor / By Janbolat Khanat / Almaty
- Asil Çağıl Ödüllerine Bir Yenisini Daha Ekledi.Erkan Özarman En İyi Koreografi Ödülünü Asil Çağıl’a Verdi…
- Ağustos Ayında Tatile Gitmek İçin En İdeal 7 Yer / By Dilek Kuru
- Bu Yaz Tatil Yapabilecek miyiz? ‘Korona’sız Tatil Mümkün Olacak mı? By Selen Şimşek
- Türkiye MICE Sektörünü 8.kez 4 Eylül 2020 ‘de ağırlamayı planlıyor / By Janbolat Khanat / Turizm Medya Grubu
- Fashion & Travel / Tuba Karaca 2020 İlkbahar ve Yaz Koleksiyonunu Tanıttı / By Asil Çağıl
- Ankara’ya Yakın 9 Muhteşem Tatil Rotası / By Bengi Alkaya / Turkish Special News