Munich cancels popular Christmas market for 2021 / By MELISSA YEAGER / Lonely Planet / Travel Exclusive News
Christmas market in front of the New Town Hall on Marienplatz square. Munich, Germany
The main Christmas market in Munich held in front of the town hall on Marienplatz Square © The Image Bank
Munich has become the first major city in Germany to announce it will cancel its beloved Christmas market for 2021, following a stark rise in hospitalizations due to COVID-19.
The Munich Christkindlmarkt dates back to the 14th century and is considered one of the oldest markets in the country. The main market, held in front of the neo-Gothic town hall in Marienplatz, had been scheduled to open on November 22 and continue through January 9, 2022.
The Munich market is one of over 2000 Christmas markets held througout Germany. It is viewed as a ‘destination market’, with visitors flying in from other countries to enjoy the festive atmosphere. It is famous for its wooden stalls adorned with green-and-white striped cloths filled with traditional gingerbread, grilled sausages, mulled wine and hand-painted trinkets.
Munich mayor Dieter Reiter said he made the difficult decision to cancel for this year, after meeting with pandemic officers from the Bavarian city’s hospitals. He said they “unanimously warned against holding the market.”
Read more: Traveling to Europe? What to know about new COVID-19 rules as infection rates climb
Munich cancels its beloved Christmas market for 2021 ©Romrodphoto/Shutterstock
“The Chistkindlmarkt would of course have been a nice pre-Christmas sign of more normality, but unfortunately, despite the possibility of vaccinations, we are currently far from this normality, partly because still not enough people have had themselves vaccinated,” Reiter, Munich’s mayor, said in a statement posted on the Christkindlmarkt website. At present, just over 67% of Germans are fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.
Germany’s 2G Health Pass System
Reiter said holding the market, even under Munich’s 2G rules which allows markets to limit entry to those who are vaccinated or who have recovered from the virus, would send the wrong signal.
“The Chistkindlmarkt is out in the fresh air, but the Munich Christkindlmarkt on Marienplatz and the surrounding squares in particular cannot be fenced off and the number of guests and compliance with the 2G rule would therefore be impossible to control,” Reiter explained.
No annoucements have been made as yet around other markets scheduled to take place throughout Germany, including arguably the most famous, the Nuremberg Christmas Market, or the Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt, in Bavaria, which attracts about two million visitors each year.
Read more: What to know about traveling with unvaccinated kids
You might also like:
The Well Traveled Path: Dr. Jenny Yu on returning to travel
Flying home for Thanksgiving? 6 things to know if you haven’t traveled lately
Will my health insurance cover getting COVID-19 while traveling in the US—or abroad?
See our full range of Germany travel books
Get to the heart of Germany with Lonely Planet’s travel guides and language books
Make the most of your time in Germany with Lonely Planet’s range of travel guides and phrasebooks.
Be the architect of your own trip as you discover the best things to do in Germany through insider tips, suggested itineraries and handy maps.
WMWNEWSTURKEY MEDIA GROUP
- As England Drops COVID-19 Restrictions, Here’s What It Means For Travel / By SASHA BRADY / Lonely Planet / Exclusive Travel News / London
- Fashion & Travel / KATE BOCK SIZZLES IN SPORTS ILLUSTRATED: SWIMSUIT ISSUE 2020 / Photos By Yu Tsai / Fashion Gone Rogue
- Fashion & Travel / PADMA LAKSHMI FLAUNTS HER MIDRIFF IN WOMEN’S HEALTH / Photography By Tyler Jor For Women’s Health / Fashion Gone Rogue
- Ace Of M.I.C.E Etkinlik Ve Toplantı Ödülleri 4 Eylül’de İstanbul’da Sahiplerini Buluyor / By Janbolat Khanat / Almaty
- Asil Çağıl Ödüllerine Bir Yenisini Daha Ekledi.Erkan Özarman En İyi Koreografi Ödülünü Asil Çağıl’a Verdi…
- Ağustos Ayında Tatile Gitmek İçin En İdeal 7 Yer / By Dilek Kuru
- Bu Yaz Tatil Yapabilecek miyiz? ‘Korona’sız Tatil Mümkün Olacak mı? By Selen Şimşek
- Türkiye MICE Sektörünü 8.kez 4 Eylül 2020 ‘de ağırlamayı planlıyor / By Janbolat Khanat / Turizm Medya Grubu
- Fashion & Travel / Tuba Karaca 2020 İlkbahar ve Yaz Koleksiyonunu Tanıttı / By Asil Çağıl
- Ankara’ya Yakın 9 Muhteşem Tatil Rotası / By Bengi Alkaya / Turkish Special News